Arleta Housing for Older Adults
The Face of Homelessness is Aging
Older adults are the fastest-growing population of people experiencing homelessness in Los Angeles County, exacerbating a crisis of care for this vulnerable population. There are 15,000 older adults currently sleeping unsheltered on the streets of Los Angeles. This number is expected to triple by 2030.
Older adults face complex health challenges and have medical ages that exceed their biological ages by 20 years. They often face accessibility challenges and have difficulty performing activities of daily living make it difficult to manage on the street or in traditional shelters. The existing “one-size-fits-all” approach to shelter and interim housing will only exacerbate this problem, as more older adults end up on the street.
Creating the Solution
National Health Foundation will provide a new type of tailored care and housing option for older adults (55+) in Arleta, CA. This 43,000 square foot facility will house 148 older adults experiencing homelessness until they are connected to permanent housing. This care model will include:
- 100% ADA compliant, semi-private rooms and facilities.
- On-site direct medical care, including mental health counseling, substance use services and support.
- A team of dedicated guest services associates and nursing staff who are trained to respond to the specific needs of older adults.
- Congregate meal program and isolation-reducing meal options.
- Outside walking paths and community activities that are customized for the needs and interests of older adults.
- Job training/placement and permanent housing resources.
- Medical support and community care services that enable them to live independently, following them when they transition to their permanent home.
Join the Movement
Gifts of Cash
You can donate online (www.nhfca.org/donate) or send a check payable to National Health Foundation, 515 W. Figueroa Street, #1300, Los Angeles, CA 90071. (Please indicate “Arleta” in the memo.)
Make a monthly donation via our website or by calling us.
When you make a gift of stock to National Health Foundation, by eliminating the capital gains tax that would be due upon selling the stock, you receive tangible tax-savings and benefits while also supporting our important mission.
Many employers sponsor matching gift programs and will match any charitable contributions made by their employees. The impact of your gift to National Health Foundation may be doubled or possibly tripled! Some companies match gifts made by retirees and/or spouses. Please request a matching gift form from your employer, email it to email@example.com, and we will take care of the rest.